The Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR) is an international non-governmental organization which works to promote social and economic justice through human rights. It carries out research and advocacy on policy trends affecting economic and social deprivation and inequality across the globe, and supports efforts of activists and communities to claim and defend economic and social rights.
CESR is seeking a Financial Administrator for part-time work to help ensure the financial health of the organization as well as the effectiveness of its administrative operations. The Financial Administrator is responsible for the implementation of financial policies and procedures in accordance with compliance standards. The Financial Administrator also ensures the effectiveness of its administrative operations, making sure policies and procedures are followed and compliance standards are met.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the primary responsibilities of the Financial Administrator include:
• Assist in the preparation and periodic monitoring of CESR’s operational budget, manage cash flow, and provide quarterly financial reports and periodic forecasts to CESR’s management and Board Treasurer;
• Maintain integrity of CESR’s accounting records in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and perform routine bookkeeping tasks;
• Process invoices and expense reports, post payments, and assist with payroll and benefits administration;
• Reconcile bank and credit card statements on a monthly basis;
• Monitor financial risks and maintain strong internal controls, ensuring adherence to CESR’s financial policies and procedures;
• Coordinate annual audit process and liaise with external auditor;
• Prepare tax documents, such as 1099s and ensure timely filing;
• Contribute financial information for grant proposals and reports;
• Ensure compliance with relevant legal and regulatory requirements governing non-profits through research and awareness of existing, new, or anticipated legislation;
• Provide organizational administrative support as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
• At least a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), preferably in non-profit management, accounting or business administration;
• Minimum 3 years of experience in non-profit financial administration, preferably in social justice-oriented organizations;
• Accounting and bookkeeping experience, proficiency in Quickbooks and Excel;
• Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, wire transfers, expense reimbursements, reconciliations of payroll and bank statements;
• Experience with benefits administration, including healthcare and 401k plans;
• Experience in creating quarterly financial reports;
• Familiarity with 501c3 operations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
• Excellent verbal and written communication, numerical skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task;
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights, in a professional or volunteer context;
• Proven professional integrity; and
• Commitment to diversity.
Hours and location
This position is based in CESR’s offices in Downtown Manhattan. The person in this role will be required to work two full workdays per week (16 hours), with flexibility on which days. Additional hours may be required during special projects, such as the audit.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject line of your message and cover letter the position you are applying for. Applications should be received no later than midday EST on Monday, 2 March 2020.
CESR is an equal opportunity employer committed to equality and non-discrimination in the workplace and in its hiring practices. It actively seeks to strengthen the diversity of backgrounds and approaches in its staff team. Candidates from under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. This position will be paid hourly and significantly above the standard New York City minimum wage. Due to the part-time nature of this position, healthcare benefits are not included.
In view of the volume of applications anticipated, we regret that we are unable to answer individual queries in relation to posts or on the progress of individual applications. Shortlisted candidates will be notified within 20 days of the deadline for applications.